Saturday, September 22, 2007

Honduras

My elbow itches as it is covered in bights from some strange beast that ate at me all night. It rained so hard last night in the little town I was in that all the streets turned to rivers. I was on a bike with some friends and I had to ride the bike through a river at least a foot deep. As my pedal went down my feet would be submerged. A day later my shoes are still wet and I don´t think they will dry until I get home. All is well and I am amazed at all of the changes in the country some for good but some are not so good. It makes me feel grateful to have a loving family and have all the blessings that I do living where I do with what I have. I was in one home during the strongest part of the storm and as lightning struck I felt so insecure about my surroundings. Thunder shook the small home and the water was rising to the point that we all thought it would soon enter. Eduardo, the father, began shoveling and digging trying to keep the water from rising too much and flood the house, he worked with a smile and was happy to have a home to protect. I wish there was more equality in the world and I wish that everyone could reach their full potential without being held back by the suffocating grip of poverty.
-Tyler

No comments: